I usually just grab a boxed mix to make brownies as they are so quick and easy to whip up, but these Caramel Brownies are definitely worth the extra effort! I have been making these for years, and they are one of my favorite all time desserts!
- 14 ounces of caramels
- 1 14-ounce can of sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon of shortening (I used Butter Flavor Crisco)
- 2 cups of sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 1 and 1/2 cup of flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- Grease a jelly roll pan with cooking spray or butter
- Place caramels and sweetened condensed milk in a heavy saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring often, until caramels are completely melted and mixed with milk. Set aside to cool.
- Melt shortening in microwave or saucepan and set aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat sugar and eggs until well combined.
- Add cocoa powder, milk and cooled shortening to the sugar and egg mixture, beating well.
- Add in the flour, baking soda and salt; mix well.
- Finally, stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the brownie mixture into the jelly pan, spreading it out so that it is even.
- Pour the melted caramel on top of the brownie batter and use a knife to marbleize.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting.
I also filmed a video of me making these: