I made a batch of my Homemade Pasta Sauce today; check out the recipe below! Making your own sauce may sound difficult and time-consuming, but this recipe couldn’t be easier. The taste is so much better than the stuff in the jar, too!
This recipe makes a lot so that you can use it to make multiple meals. Tonight I served it with spaghetti, and I also prepped Twice Baked Spaghetti (leftover spaghetti and sauce poured into a casserole dish and topped with shredded mozzarella cheese) for dinner tomorrow. I then filled four freezer bags with about a cup and a half of sauce each so that the next time I want to make something, I can pull a bag out of the freezer!
HOMEMADE PASTA SAUCE
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup minced onion or dried equivalent
- 2 cloves crushed garlic or jarred equivalent
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 12-ounce can tomato paste
- 12-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a LARGE pot (I use a Dutch oven), cook meat, onion and garlic over medium heat until well browned.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and water.
- Add sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Stir together until all ingredients are well combined.
- Cover and simmer for about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.