I have never made white icing before, instead always using the pre-made stuff in the plastic tubs. However, today I wanted to make some sugar cookies (CLICK HERE for my Roll Out Sugar Cookie recipe!); and since we’re snowed in and I couldn’t get to the store, I went in search of a good white frosting for cookies.
I found this one online and decided to give it a go….and it is amazing! It tastes very much like the frosting that a popular bakery in town used to make before they closed last year. I will definitely be making this frosting again, not just for cookies but cakes, too!
SUGAR COOKIE FROSTING
- 4 cups confectioner’s (powdered) sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening, butter or margarine
- 5 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- food coloring, if desired
- In a large bowl, beat together sugar and shortening until smooth.
- Gradually add in milk and vanilla until blended.
- Beat for 5 minutes.
- Color with food coloring, if desired.