I have been playing around with apple desserts using cake mixes, tying to find one that was not only easy to make but also tasted great. Today, I finally settled on one, which is this Apple Crumble!
I actually debated on what to call this: crumble, cake, cobbler, crisp. I finally settled on crumble simply due to the fact that I literally crumbled the topping up in my hands to sprinkle it over the apples!
This is an incredibly easy recipe, made even easier with this amazing apple peeler that I bought on Amazon! This is the best $17 I have ever spent! CLICK HERE to learn more or to order one for yourself.
The brown sugar adds a caramel flavor to this that the other recipes I have tried lacked, and it’s that caramel touch that sends this recipe over the top. I like to serve this with some whipped topping, and it would also be great with ice cream.
- 6 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 cup of water
- 1 package of white or yellow cake mix (I used yellow)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (a stick) of butter or margarine, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9×13-inch cake pan with non-stick cooking spray
- Arrange apples in a an even layer in the bottom of the cake pan and pour the water over the apples.
- In a bowl, mix together the cake mix, brown sugar, and cinnamon until well combined. Add in the melted butter and mix until thoroughly blended and crumbly.
- Sprinkle the mixture evenly over the apples.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes.
Adding in the melted butter to the cake mix, brown sugar and cinnamon