I have been making this version of Crispix Puppy Chow for nearly 20 years! Also called “Muddy Buddies” or “Sweet Minglers”, rice cereal coated with peanut butter, chocolate and powdered sugar are all over Pinterest. While it seems most recipes these days call for Chex cereal, I have always used Crispix cereal.
While you can use a microwave to melt the chocolate, peanut butter, and butter/margarine, I have always used a double boiler. Make sure to use the biggest bowl you have to mix the cereal with the chocolate coating as you will need to mix everything up for awhile to get everything evenly coated.
CRISPIX PUPPY CHOW
- 12-ounce box of Crispix cereal
- 2 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup of peanut butter
- 1 stick of butter/margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pound of powdered sugar
- Pour cereal into a large mixing bowl.
- Using a double boiler or microwave, melt the chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter/margarine together until smooth.
- Add vanilla into chocolate mixture.
- Pour chocolate mixture over cereal and stir to coat.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar over cereal and stir to coat. I start with a small amount of powdered sugar and add in more as needed; therefore, I only use as much as I need and don’t ever use the full pound.
- Store in an air-tight container. I actually keep mine in the refrigerator as I like it cold. 🙂
I also filmed YouTube video of me preparing this if you are interested in watching: