My brother makes the best potato salad; unfortunately, he doesn’t write down recipes, they are all just in his head. He gave me the basic ingredients for his potato salad, and I’ve refined it to the recipe below. This is a very adaptable recipe. Don’t like celery? Leave it out (I do, although my dad likes it in his, so sometimes I cut up a bit extra for his serving). I also leave the eggs yolks out of mine; again, my dad likes the yolks, so I sometimes save them for him.
This makes a HUGE batch, but you can easily halve it if you’d like. Note that for 5 pounds of potatoes that I start with 1/2 cup condensed milk but will add more if needed. I also like to sprinkle paprika on the top for decoration!
- 5 pounds of potatoes, boiled (peeled or leave the skins on – I personally like to leave the skins on for a bit of extra nutrition and flavor)
- Celery, chopped (optional)
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, chopped (you can remove the yolks if you want to reduce the cholesterol or if you just don’t like the taste)
- 1 onion, chopped; or 6 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise or Miracle Whip
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- Dash of salt and pepper
- Boil potatoes and allow to cool. Cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Mix eggs, onion, sour cream, mayonnaise, sweetened condensed milk, mustard, salt and pepper together.
- Add in cooled potatoes and mix to coat.
- Chill, garnish with paprika (if desired) and serve.