A couple of years ago, I found THIS RECIPE when I did a Google search for lasagna. This was actually the first one that popped up, and I really have found it to be the best lasagna recipe I have ever made. The sauce is key to this recipe – while it takes a while to make, it really is worth it.
Today was the first time I tried this in the crock pot. This makes A LOT of lasagna, and it spills over my largest pan. However, it all fit perfectly in my crock pot! I also loved not having to boil the noodles beforehand – I never have a pot big enough and I usually have to boil two batches, plus I always burn myself.
The original recipe calls for a lot of meat. I only had a pound of ground beef on hand, so I decided to just eliminate the sweet Italian sausage today. However, you can experiment with whatever combination you want, using just beef or just sausage, spicy sausage, or ground turkey. We aren’t big meat eaters, so using just the one pound of hamburger was more than enough for us.
One short-cut you can use is to use dry herbs. I know the foodies will wrinkle their noses, but I just don’t have the time or desire to chop onions, garlic, etc. The jarred versions work just fine for me! We also aren’t fans of too much spice in foods, so I have eliminated a few of the extras the original recipe called for.
WORLD’S BEST LASAGNA….IN THE CROCK POT!
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup minced onion or dried equivalent
- 2 cloves crushed garlic or jarred equivalent
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 12-ounce can tomato paste
- 12-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 box lasagna noodles, uncooked
- 32 ounces ricotta cheese
- 2 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups shredded cheese (I used 2 cups of mozzarella and 2 cups of Italian cheese blend)
- In a LARGE pot (I used a Dutch oven), cook meat, onion and garlic over medium heat until well browned
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and water. Add sugar, salt, and pepper. Cover and simmer for about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of sauce to the bottom of the crock pot. Layer dry lasagna noodles on top (you will need to break them in order to fit). Spread 1/3 of the ricotta cheese on top. Sprinkle 1/4 of the shredded cheese on top of the ricotta.
- Repeat meat, noodle, ricotta, and shredded cheese layers until you only have 1/4th of the shredded cheese left to sprinkle on the top.
- Cook on low for 3-4 hours.